Wilbur E. Rogers, in an article he wrote as a reporter for The Brooklyn Daily Eagle, estimated that Freeport, a village of 12,000 residents, had 15 speakeasies.
"'Tipoffs' Hamper Edwards' War on Nassau Saloons." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. May 23, 1929, 2. Accessed December 8, 2017. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/58263046/?terms=%22nassau+saloons%22+edwards.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, December 8, 2017.
Retail Liquor Store was one of the first establishments in Freeport to receive a liquor license from the Nassau County Alcoholic Beverage Control Board after the repeal of Prohibition; it was issued license number L 144. The store, located at 28 West Merrick Road, was owned by Eugene Kefer.
"80 Permits Given to Sell In Nassau." The Nassau Daily Review. December 6, 1933, 1. Accessed August 21, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071428/1933-12-06/ed-1/seq-1/.
Retail Liquor Store [advertisement]. The Nassau Daily Review. December 12, 1933, 3. Accessed August 21, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071428/1933-12-12/ed-1/seq-3/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, August 21, 2019.
Rum Row was the location of the boundary just outside American water where the crews of various ships sold liquor. Originally, Rum Row was located three miles off the United States coast. In 1924, the limit was changed to twelve miles off the coast due to a treaty the United States entered into with Great Britain.
Malcolm F. Willoughby, Rum War at Sea. Washington, DC: Treasury Department, United States Coast Guard, 1964.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, December 26, 2019.