Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- John Pine dammed Milburn Creek for a grist mill
- Jacob Bedell house built in the woods (near the intersection of Randall Avenue and North Ocean Avenue)
- Freeport had 118 homes and 51 farms (source: William E. Golder)
- Excelsior fire company organized
- William G. Miller and John J. Randall became business partners
Miller, William G.
Randall, John J.
- Charles L. Wallace created Freeport's first real estate subdivision on the property of Daniel Raynor's farm
- William G. Miller and John J. Randall purchased a farm from Sylvanus Bedell's heirs in northwest Freeport and began to construct homes. This northern development was known as "Randall Park."
- Fire destroyed wooden school building resulting in the formation of Village water and electric departments
- Freeport Fire Department Band established
- Village Police issued new blue uniforms with brass buttons
- (November 26 to 27) Blizzard impacted Freeport
- Electric street lamps installed
- George Bennett Smith became the first Freeporter to purchase an automobile
- Grove Park Hotel opened (located today at 98 Rose Street, later called the Imperial Hotel and South Shore Hotel)
- Village Board granted permission for the removal of the Powell family cemetery on Grand Avenue and Babylon Turnpike. The remains for the Powell Family were moved to Greenfield Cemetery.
- Village began negotiations for the purchase of 300 street signs to be placed on the streets of Freeport
- The north / south dividing line for Freeport becomes the Long Island Rail Road tracks (previous dividing line was Fulton Street). The east / west dividing line becomes Main Street (previous dividing line was Ocean Avenue)
- Telephones were installed in all Freeport Fire houses
"Freeport." The Brooklyn Times Union. August 18, 1906, 12. newspapers.com.
Freeport Police Department installs 12 telephones mounted to telephone poles throughout the Village of Freeport. They were located near street corners along patrolmen's routes
"New Police Telephone System for the Village of Freeport, Long Island." South Side Messenger. December 27, 1912, 2. Accessed October 5, 2019.
- Woodcleft Bathing Pavilion renovated
- J. Huyler Ellison Sr.'s Photo Play Company filmed scenes for the movie, The Governor's Boss, in Freeport
- Florence Carman was acquitted for the 1914 murder of Louise Bailey
- The women's suffrage organization, the Equal Franchise Club, held meeting in Brooklyn Hall
- At the urging of the civic organization, Neighborhood Workers, the Village of Freeport agreed to have a municipal Christmas tree
Freeport to have Municipal Christmas Tree. Nassau County Review. December 3, 1915, 1. Accessed August 6, 2021. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071433/1915-12-03/ed-1/seq-1/.
- (January 17) Eighteenth Amendment (Prohibition) went into effect
- (September 16) Three Freeporters injured in Wall Street bombing: George Luhrs, 74 Nassau Street, employed at National City Bank; Russell Golder, 30 Long Beach Avenue; Fred Thompson, 216 Roosevelt Place
"Two Freeporters in Wall Street Horror." Nassau County Review. September 24, 1920, 1. Accessed August 23, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071433/1920-09-24/ed-1/seq-1/,
- Police force became a department
- Robert Campbell was elected Commander of the William Clinton Story American Legion Post (Leo Schloss, vice president; Henry B. Raynor, secretary; and Winfield Raynor, treasurer)
- B'nai Israel dedicated on Broadway and Mount Avenue
- Ku Klux Klan held meeting in Freeport
- (August) Routes for municipal garbage and ash collection established
"Garbage and Ash Collection Started." The Freeport News. August 5, 1921, 1. Accessed May 25, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071012/1921-08-05/ed-1/seq-1/.
- (April) The area north of Seaman Avenue was annexed to the Village of Freeport
- (December 13) WGBB, the first Nassau County commercial radio station, was established by Harry Carman
- Village adopts zoning laws
Zoning in Freeport, History of
- New York State's first war memorial library dedicated in Freeport
History of the Freeport Memorial Library
- East Bayview Avenue was renamed Branch Avenue
- Ground broken for the new Elks Club building on Merrick Road
- Bethel A.M.E. Church moved from Henry Street to Helen Avenue
- Gatter Park (triangle piece of land at the intersection of Miller Avenue and Smith Street) purchased by Freeport for $10. The owners of the property were William Gatter, a village trustee, and his brother, Irving.
Click here for more information related to Gatter Park.
- Conduit Boulevard (now Sunrise Highway) was extended through Freeport. Centre Street, which once linked Bayview Avenue to Long Beach Avenue, was incorporated into the new road.
Anna J. Martin became the first woman to run for trustee in the Village of Freeport
"Mrs. Martin Is Defeated." The New York Times. March 21, 1928, 4.
- (June 9) Sunrise Highway dedicated
"Long Island Opens Sunrise Highway." The New York Times. June 9, 1929, 19.
- The second First National Bank and Trust Company building was constructed on Sunrise Highway and Grove Street (now Guy Lombardo Avenue). When completed, it was the tallest building west of Jamaica, NY.
- The Dandridge Mott Post of the Grand Army of the Republic is disbanded and all of the organization's annals and mementos were given to the American Legion
- The area south of Front Street was annexed to the Village
- (October) Stock market crash began the Great Depression (1929-1941)
- (October) 49 fire alarm corner boxes were approved by the Village board at a cost of $16,775. Gamewell Fire Alarm Company was chosen to install the alarm boxes
"Freeport Gets 49 Fire Boxes." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. October 24, 1929, 14. Accessed October 9, 2018. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/59852374/?terms=gamewell%2Bfreeport.
- Freeport boundary runs to bay
- Women's clothing store, Carol Green's, founded by brothers Jack and Richard Green. The store is named for Jack's daughter, Carol
- Freeport Point, an area located in south Freeport under the control of the Town of Hempstead, was annexed to the Village of Freeport.
"Hempstead Board O.K's Freeport Annexation." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. May 27, 1930, 5. Accessed July 19, 2018. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/59904487/?terms=%22freeport%2Bpoint%22.
"Rally Petitions Annexation of Freeport Point." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. April 16, 1930, 12. Accessed July 19, 2018. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/59904487/?terms=%22freeport%2Bpoint%22.
- Freeport water tank illuminated by floodlights. Village of Freeport claims Freeport is the fist Long Island community made visible from the Atlantic steamship lanes
"Freeport Tank to be Beacon Visible from Liners Far at Sea." The Brooklyn Times Union. April 10, 1930, 5. Accessed August 15, 2019. Newspapers.com.
- (October 20) Freeport turned off the street lights for one minute in honor of the passing of Thomas Edison
"Freeport to Douse Lights for Edison." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. October 20, 1931, 27. Accessed April 17, 2018. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/59856095/?terms=freeport%2Bedison.
- Bronze tablet dedicated at the site of Freeport's first school, located at Church Street and Main Street. Tablet was paid for by the Exchange Club
- (December 5) Twenty-first Amendment is ratified (Prohibition is repealed)
- The Village Board voted to replace traffic-light stanchions at the center of the intersections of Sunrise Highway with Henry Street and Long Beach Avenue with signal lights at the sides of the highway
- Glee club started by the Freeport Republican Club
- Freeport Leader newspaper was founded by George W. Goeller
- Million-gallon water tank constructed
- Peter E. Elar appointed Freeport Police Chief (he joined the department in 1917 and was made lieutenant in 1920)
- Interfaith Clergy Council Organized
- New York State made Sunrise Highway six lanes
- 7 ½ horsepower air raid siren was added to the top of the Municipal Building
- John Raynor elected President of P.B.A.
- Church of the Nazarene purchased property for a church on Atlantic Avenue and 332 Park Avenue for a parsonage
- Compulsory metering of water enacted
- Parking changed from diagonal to parallel on Sunrise Highway
- First television showroom opened in the basement of Sunrise Music Shops (South Main Street and Pine Street)
- U.S. Navy approves the construction of a Naval Armory at Hanse Avenue and Rider Place
"Navy OK's Freeport Armory Contract." Newsday. June 17, 1947, 21.
- FR9 (379) telephone numbers issued to telephone subscribers (FR8 telephone numbers already existed)
- Village sold three acres of land on Babylon Turnpike for $100 for the construction of a State Armory
"Village Cedes Land to State for Armory." The Leader. May 19, 1949, 1. Accessed August 25, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1949-05-19/ed-1/seq-1/.
- Freeport High School Band invited to perform at Yankee Stadium
- After 25 years of service, Lillian Steffens retired as deputy Village treasurer
- Freeport Bay Estates was annexed to the Village
- Freeport population was 24,680
- Dial service began at 3 a.m. on Sunday, February 12 for telephone subscribers with FR 8 (378), FR 9 (379), and BA 3 (223) exchanges
New York Telephone Company [advertisement]. The Leader. February 9, 1950, 6. Accessed December 4, 2020. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1950-02-09/ed-1/seq-6/.
- Freeporter John Barbieri (172 Wallace Street) appointed operating and maintenance supervisor of the Holland Tunnel
- C. Milton Foreman Lumber Yard (located between Main St. and Henry St. and LIRR tracks and Broadway) destroyed by fire
Click here for images related to the Foreman Lumber Yard Fire.
- Telephone exchange, MAyfair 3, (also known as MA3 or 623) was introduced. Telephone numbers beginning with 623 were issued for areas of Freeport, Roosevelt, Merrick, and North Merrick
"Freeport Area to get 'Mayfair 3' Central." The Leader. February, 5, 1953, 2. Accessed November 30, 2020. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1953-02-05/ed-1/seq-2/.
- Direct dial, long distance telephone service, began in Freeport. Mayor Robert Doxsee was the first Freeporter to call long distance without operator assistance (he called New Jersey)
"Doxsee Dials New Jersey." The Leader. March 5, 1953, 3. Accessed November 30, 2020. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1953-03-05/ed-1/seq-3/.
- (July 5) Northwest Park Dedicated
- (July 17) Waterfront Park Dedicated
Village of Freeport Newsletter, July/August 1954, 2.
Research by Regina G. Feeney, May 13, 2021.
- William Thompson was elected president of the Hempstead Harbor Civic Association
- Robert E. Kurz re-elected president of the Chamber of Commerce
- West Merrick Road from the Elks’ Club property to South Bayview Avenue rezoned to Business “AA”
- Atlantic Avenue Business Men's Association formed
- (August 11-13) Hurricane Connie
- New Freeport railroad station dedicated by Governor Rockefeller
- Railroad grade crossings eliminated; Senior High School opened
- Patricia D. Collins became the first female commissioner in Freeport when she was appointed as Vice Chairman of Zoning Board of Appeals
- Drainage work and road-level raising began in south Freeport
- National Guard Armory, located at 63 Babylon Turnpike, dedicated a two-story building
"Freeport Dedicates Armory." The New York Times. May 1, 1961, 32.
- Freeport is the first municipality on LI to adopt a code of ethics
- Freeport is the first to create a Police K-9 Unit. First police dog was a German Shepherd named Mike. His handler was patrolman Harry B. Nicolino
- Railroad Avenue renamed Freeport Plaza
- Village Board adopted the motto, “Freeport--Boating and Fishing Capital of the East”
- Grove-East Park opened (triangle between Guy Lombardo Avenue and East Avenue)
- Dedication of William J. Martin Park (located between Guy Lombardo Ave. and East Ave. This park was originally known as the Grove East Park)
- (January 10) Freeport Recreation Center, located in the Grove Street School (61 Pine Street), dedicated
- (June 17) The World’s Fair held a “Freeport Day” at Flushing, Queens and 2,000 Village residents attended
- Cornerstone laid for new fire headquarters
- Substation D at South Ocean Avenue and Front Street completed
- (September 24) Groundbreaking ceremony for Industrial Park took place
- 1964 Reverend Mitchell Mallette appointed to Freeport Housing Authority
- Franklyn Square, the narrow one-block road between South Main Street and Bedell Street, was made a one-way street for safer driving to and from the new parking field at the senior citizen housing
- (November 9) Northeast Blackout of 1965 left NY, CT, VT, NH, RI, NJ, and Ontario Canada without power for about 12 hours. Freeport Electric was able to restore power to the Village within a few hours
See: Blackout, 1965
- Funding approved by the Town of Hempstead for a marina at the end of South Grove Street (later known as the Guy Lombardo Marina)
- Ray Knipe named “Policeman of the Year” by the Exchange Club
- (November 23) Cornerstone dedication for Power Plant No. 2.
Sweeney, Robert. "Message from the Mayor." The Leader. November 21, 1968, 3. Accessed July 19, 2022. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1968-11-21/ed-1/seq-3/.
- (March 15) Freeport American Legion posts, William Clinton Story Post #342 and Henry Morrison-Deloney Post #785, donated a plaque to the Freeport Memorial Library in honor of the American Legion’s 50th Anniversary
- (March) New York City sold Freeport 30 acres of watershed property for approximately $1.3 million and seven acres to the federal government ($300,000) for middle and lower income urban renewal
Vespa, Mary. "City Still Offering Land; Nassau Watches, Waits." Newsday. June 11, 1973, 20.
- Nassau County created Cow Meadow Park and Preserve
- Municipal Building expanded
- First fulltime mayor elected (William White, Sr.)
- (November) Dorothy Storm appointed first woman Village trustee (she took the place of Trustee H. Berkeley Swezey)
- Village Recreation Center and Town Marina completed
- (June 21) Open house and dedication of the Freeport Recreation Center
- (July 4) Freeport celebrated the American bicentennial by burying a time capsule on the lawn of Village Hall on North Ocean Avenue
- (August 11) Hurricane Belle
- Village received hydroelectricity
- New Hose 3 firehouse dedicated
- Freeport Mall opened on South Main Street
- A blackout in Freeport occurred five days after a large-scale power outage hit New York City
See: Blackout, 1977
- (January 27) Freeport Firefighter Jerry Patrick Cotignolo died of injuries sustained in the line of duty
- Freeport Elks Club demolished
"Freeport Board OKs Plan to Demolish Elks Lodge." Newsday February, 17, 1980, 18.
- Freeport celebrated 90th anniversary of incorporation
- Resident Al Grover and son sailed from Nova Scotia to Portugal in a 26-foot outboard motor powered boat
- Freeport elected its first female mayor (Dorothy Storm)
- New library addition dedicated on Memorial Day
- (September 27) Hurricane Gloria
- End of the Freeport Mall; South Main Street opened to automobile traffic
- (July 17) Was designated "Edna Beitterick Day" by Mayor Dorothy Storm. Beitterick and her husband were the owners of the Poop Deck bar and grille on Woodcleft Canal
Braun, Bill and Norma Braun. "Good-bye, Poop Deck!" The Leader. October 31, 2002, 4.
- Last remaining WWI soldiers from Freeport die; Wallace “Wally” Guest (January) and Frank D. Curley (July)
- (August 28) Hurricane Bob collapsed the Recreation Center’s air supported structure (also known as the “bubble”) covering the ice skating rink
- (October 30) "The Perfect Storm," also known as the Halloween Nor'easter, of 1991 caused much damage in Freeport, especially on the Nautical Mile
- Charles Zimmerman appointed Village Historian.
"New Village Historian." Village News. October, 1991, 4.
- Freeport Landmark Preservation Commission voted unanimously to landmark Mill Road site (Village Board did not vote on this issue; buildings on site later demolished)
- Village Board granted landmark status to the four-sided clock in front of the Meadowbrook Bank building on Sunrise Highway
- Freeport Landmark Preservation Commission tried unsuccessfully to landmark the Meadowbrook Bank building
- Nunley’s Carousel in Baldwin closes
- Seaport Museum opened on the Nautical Mile
- Freeport began street elevation project on the Nautical Mile
- Freeport's Community Development Agency acquired Freeport Hospital property
- Freeport Landmarks Preservation Committee began placing historical markers throughout the Village
- Revitalized Nautical Mile dedicated
- Dedication of the Nautical Mile Esplanade
- The Freeport Historical Society and Freeport Memorial Library joined Long Island Memories digitization project
- Sister City alliance established between Walldorf, Germany and Freeport
- New water facility dedicated on the site of the former camp grounds on Prince Avenue
- Main Street Mews opened on South Main Street
- Tuskegee Airmen honored at annual Veterans Day celebration
- Freeport Long Island History Blog created
- Andrew Hardwick elected Freeport’s first African American Mayor
- (September 29) South Ocean Avenue dedicated “D’Brickashaw Ferguson Way”
- Washington Avenue dedicated “Robert Allyn Way”
- West 2nd Street dedicated “Marion Knoeller Way”
- Brooklyn Water Works demolished
- New 9/11 memorial structure dedicated on South Bayview Avenue. Original memorial moved to the Freeport Historical Society
- (April) Freeport book published (Images of America Series) written by Cynthia J. Krieg and Regina G. Feeney
- Solar panels added to roof of Fire headquarters
- Freeport Historical Society building at 350 South Main Street granted landmark status by Village Board
- Lena Avenue (from North Grove Street to North Long Beach Avenue) dedicated “Lt. Col. Ed Monroe Way”
- (October 29-30) Hurricane Sandy caused devastation throughout Freeport
- (February 8-9) Blizzard brought 10-14 inches of snow to Freeport
- (November) House located at 92 West Lena Avenue is granted landmark status
- Village denied landmark status to the Freeport Memorial Library
- (December) Mauersberger Way (Church Street between Merrick Road and Sunrise Highway) dedicated
- Matador Network ranked Freeport number seven on their list of the 20 coolest towns in the United States
- Roadside marker dedicated at Bayview Hose # 3, Freeport Fire Department
- (August 26) Roadside markers dedicated at the sites of the Woodcleft Inn, Col. James Dean's House, and Bennington Park
- Village of Freeport awarded $7 million from New York State to replace a cable beneath the Freeport River tht carries power to the Village
"With Storms in Mind, $20 Million Goes To LI." Newsday. October 19, 2018, A13.