Freeport During the Civil War
- Freeport erected a 90-foot liberty pole
- Later raised funds to erect 100-foot pole
Source: Nassau County in the Civil War, by Arnold Gates, 1963, (LI R 974.7245 G)
- In 1868 there were 118 houses in Freeport. 61 homes were located on Main Street
- Merrick Road was known was Plank Road and there was a tollgate near where the Freeport Hall apartments are today (Merrick Road and Long Beach Ave.)
- Between 1860 and 1868 there were 25 businesses in Freeport
- Two churches: Presbyterian and Methodist
- Two schools: 1 private and 1 public – the public schools was in session 11 months of the year
Source: William E. Golder, "Freeport of 1868 Had Only 118 Houses; 51 Farms Within Present Village Limits," (newspaper not labeled)
- About 40 men from Freeport served during the Civil War.
- The polling location for the 1864 Presidential election was held at a hotel located on the corner of Main Street and Merrick Road.
- In 1865, after the assassination of Lincoln, some Freeporters put emblems of morning and sympathy outside their homes.
- After the war had ended, there was a celebration at the corner of Main Street and Merrick Road in vacant lot. A bonfire was kept burning during the evening and a cannon was fired every 20 minutes.
Source: William E. Golder, "Freeport Soon Forged Ahead of Hempstead After Southside Railroad Was Finished," (newspaper not labeled)