Nassau Belt Line was a trolley company that incorporated in March of 1899. Freeport shareholders included William G. Miller, Samuel R. Smith, and Henry P. Libby.
"Nassau Belt Line Incorporated." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. March 21, 1899, 7. Accessed January 7, 2017. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/50408181/?terms=%22nassau%2Bbelt%2Bline%22.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, January 7, 2017.
Nassau County Mosquito Extermination Commission was headquartered at 411 South Grove Street (now Guy Lombardo Avenue). In an effort to combat the western Long Island mosquito problem, this commission was legislated into existence on May 3, 1916. At the time of the commission's formation, 476 cases of malaria were reported in Nassau County. By 1941, infection dropped to only two or three imported cases.
In 1947, the Nassau County Mosquito Extermination Commission disbanded as a commission after it was folded into the Nassau County Department of Public Works.
"Fear Malarial Epidemic Here: Mosquito Menace Held Worst in Over 25 Years." Newsday. August 19, 1942, 3.
"Last Vestige." Manhasset Press. February 28, 1947, 10. Accessed September 1, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071155/1947-02-28/ed-1/seq-10/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, September 18, 2017.
Nassau County Review was the newspaper of record for Nassau County. It was originally called the Queens County Review and was owned by Charles D. Smith. In 1902, Smith sold the newspaper to Smith Pearsall. Eventually, this newspaper was merged into the Nassau Daily Review.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, June 29, 2016.
Nassau Daily Review was a newspaper that was published in Rockville Centre by James E. Stiles. The first issue was published on March 7, 1921 as the Daily Review. It was an amalgamation of several newspapers: Hempstead Inquirer (est. 1830); South Side Observer (est. 1836); Nassau County Review (est. 1895); and The Nassau Post (est. 1914).
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, September 22, 2018.
The Nassau Daily Review-Star was established in 1937 by James E. Stiles. Stiles acquired the Nassau Daily Star in 1933, and later combined it with his other newspaper, the Nassau Daily Review. In the 1940s, The Nassau Daily Review-Star had a peak circulation of over 40,000 readers. The newspaper was eventually sold to Newspaper Enterprises, Inc. in 1949. Stiles remained editor until the company went out of business in 1954.
Hazelton, Henry Isham. The Boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens Counties of Nassau and Suffolk Long Island, New York 1609-1924 (Volume 5). New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, Inc., 1925.
"J. E. Stiles Dies; Founded 1st LI Daily." Newsday. August 5, 1960, 7.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, July 1, 2016.
Nassau Oil Burner and Refrigerator Co., Inc. was located at 66 West Merrick Road in 1928. This business sold Ballard oil burners, General Electric refrigerators, and electric basement pumps.
Voyageur, 1928 (Freeport High School Yearbook).
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, December 27, 2016.
The Nassau Post was a weekly newspaper, published in Freeport by James E. Stiles. Stiles established the newspaper in 1914. It was the first newspaper on the South Shore to be published on a semi-weekly basis, on Wednesdays and Saturdays, though this only lasted for eight months. In 1918, it was consolidated with The South Side Observer. The result was the 12-page newspaper called The Observer-Post. In 1921, the newspaper was merged with two other newspapers (Hempstead Inquirer and the South Side and Observer) to create the Nassau Daily Review.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, June 30, 2016.
Nassau Sign Service was located at 9 Railroad Avenue, opposite the original train station. Its motto was "Lettering for every kind for every purpose."
Voyageur, 1928 (Freeport High School Yearbook).
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, April 1, 2017.
The Nassau Yacht Club was planned in 1946 and established in 1947 with 35 boat owning members. It was reported that the club was started by a small group of boat enthusiasts who used to meet at the sea wall in Zacks Bay. The club was formed due to the crowded conditions at yacht clubs throughout Nassau County. The club was originally located in the Crystal Lake Hotel.
Officers included: Dr. M. Clark Green of Lynbrook, commodore; Jerry Margolish of Laurelton, vice commodore; Frank Simon of Long Beach, treasurer; Milton Lawyer of Baldwin, secretary; Julian Jawitz of Sunnyside, corresponding secretary; and Sy Jay of Freeport, membership chair.
Though some neighbors voiced opposition to the yacht club's location on East Bedell Street, a clubhouse was opened in 1952. The following year, the yacht club started a youth program for children between the ages of 10 and 16. By 1967, the Nassau Yacht Club had grown to a fleet of 60 boats.
The Nassau Yacht Club's burgee (pennant/flag) was blue and gold. It 1971, it was a member of the Tri-Club; an organization of local yacht clubs that included the Nassau Yacht Club, the Freeport Yacht Club, and South Shore Yacht Club.
Nassau Yacht Club disbanded around 1981. Its clubhouse became the West Wind Yacht Club in 1985.
Hanning, Leo P. "In the Open." Newsday. January 4, 1952, 57.
"Nassau Yacht Club Celebrates 14th Year of Activity." The Leader. February 2, 1961, 12. Accessed June 15, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1961-02-02/ed-1/seq-12/.
"Nassau Yacht Club Celebrates 20 Years." The Leader. March 30, 1967, 2. Accessed June 17, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1967-03-30/ed-1/seq-2/.
"Nassau Yacht Club Starts Youth Program." The Leader. January 22, 1953, 13. Accessed June 17, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1953-01-22/ed-1/seq-13/
"New Nassau Yacht Club Names Slate." Newsday. December 10, 1946, 16.
"New Yacht Club Elects Commodore, Makes Plans." Newsday. January 14, 1947, 5.
"Sees Freeport as No. 1 Haven for Boats." Newsday. March 10, 1947, 10.
"Tri-Club Yachtsman." The Leader. June 3, 1971, 7. Accessed June 17, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1971-06-03/ed-1/seq-7/.
West Wind Yacht Club [advertisement]. Newsday. July 28, 1985, A16.
"Village Board Weighs Two Freeport Zoning Proposals." Newsday. November 22, 1950, 27.
Voorhees, Bill. "Countrywide." Newsday. April 11, 1967, 31A.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, June 17, 2019.
Nathan's Delicatessen was located at 68 West Merrick Road, next to the Grove Theatre, in 1928. Their motto was "Good Things To Eat."
Voyageur, 1928 (Freeport High School Yearbook).
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, December 27, 2016.
Nat's Cleaners was located on Helen Avenue in Bennington Park. The owner was Nathaniel Eugene Brisbane (1907-1981), a resident of Freeport since the late 1920s. Brisbane was born in Charleston, SC. and attended the Wallingford Academy and the Burke Industrial High School.
Nathaniel Brisbane [obituary]. The Leader. December 3, 1981, 13. Accessed February 16, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1981-12-03/ed-1/seq-13/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, February 16, 2018.
The Nautical Festival is an annual event sponsored by the Village of Freeport. It takes place in June on Woodcleft Avenue (Nautical Mile).
The first mention of a nautical festival occurred in the fall of 1978 as "Long Island Nautical Festival." This month-long celebration was sponsored by the Long Island Tourism Commission. Governor Hugh Carey proclaimed September 23, 1978, "Long Island Nautical Festival Day." During this event, the two-masted brig, the Unicorn, docked at several Long Island seaside communities. The ship arrived in Freeport during the New York Boat Show that was taking place at the Hempstead Town Marina (now the Guy Lombardo Marina) at the foot of Guy Lombardo Avenue, September 14 to 17, 1978.
In June 1980, the Woodcleft Nautical Mile Association sponsored an "Old-Fashioned Memorial Day Weekend Nautical Festival" In the fall of 1980, the "New York Boat Show and Nautical Festival" is promoted in the local paper, The Leader.
In 2000, the Freeport Nautical Festival was promoted as "Family Day on the Nautical Mile."
"Ahoy There!" The Leader. June 5, 1980, 3. Accessed May 18, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1980-06-05/ed-1/seq-3/.
"For L.I. More Fun in Store." Newsday. July 5, 1978, 5.
"Freeport Celebrates Family Fun Day on the Nautical Mile." Freeport Report. May 2000, 4. Accessed May 17, 2017. http://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15281coll12/id/17120/rec/15.
"In-Water Boat Show Opens in Freeport." Newsday. September 10, 1978, E2.
"On the Calendar." The Leader. September 18, 1980, 2. Accessed May 18, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1980-09-18/ed-1/seq-2/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 18, 2017.
Nautical Mile is the popular waterfront shopping, fishing, and eating district of Freeport that is located along Woodcleft Avenue. The Nautical Mile begins at Front Street, passes over Richmond Street, and ends at the Scenic Pier located at the southern end of Woodcleft Avenue. It is approximately .85 miles long, or about .74 nautical miles (one mile equals 1.151 nautical miles).
Freeport's "Nautical Mile" was conceived by Arti Grover around 1965. Her husband, Al, used the phrase "On the Nautical Mile" to describe the location of his boat business in April 1965.
On July 18, 1976, the Village of Freeport and the Chamber of Commerce co-sponsored "Nautical Day on the Nautical Mile." This event included the Second Annual Canoe and Kayak Races.
The Woodcleft Scenic Pier at the foot of Woodcleft Avenue was dedicated on October 17, 1997.
In October 1998, the Village of Freeport began renovations to Woodcleft Avenue that included raising the street and adding brick sidewalks, benches, planters, and antique street lights. Additionally, electrical wires were installed in underground conduits, in lieu of being run overhead on electric poles.
The Annapolis Training Squadron began sailing to the Nautical Mile in 1998. The midshipmen began docking their boats at the Nautical Mile Esplanade after it opened in 1999.
In 2012, the Nautical Mile suffered much devastation during Hurricane Sandy. Most businesses, piers, parks, and the esplanade required major reconstruction after the hurricane covered them in several feet of water and a fire destroyed several buildings.
Al Grover's [advertisement]. The Leader. April 22, 1965, 10. Accessed May 17, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1965-04-22/ed-1/seq-10/.
"The Finny Lure Of Freeport's 'Nautical Mile.'" Newsday. May 28, 1978, 1A.
"Freeport Hosts Navy Sailing Program." Freeport Report. September 1998, 4. Accessed May 17, 2017. http://cdm16694.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p15281coll12/id/17135/rec/27.
"The Nightmare that Never Ends." The Leader. November 8, 2012, 1. Accessed May 17, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071065/2012-11-08/ed-1/seq-1/.
"U.S. Navy Sails Again." The Leader. August 9, 2001, 1. Accessed May 17, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071065/2001-08-09/ed-1/seq-1/.
Vasil, Eddie. "News and Views." The Leader. March 18, 1965, 4. Accessed May 17, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1965-03-18/ed-1/seq-4/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 18, 2017.
Neck is a geographic term used to describe a narrow piece of land with water on each side. The necks that comprise or border Freeport include: Washburn's Neck, Raynor's Neck, Coe's Neck, and Hicks's Neck (Baldwin). Freeport and Long Island chronicler, Daniel M. Tredwell, also mentioned Hay Bridge Neck (or Haybridge Neck). This area, also called the Great South Woods by Tredwell, was located in the southwest section of the the Town of Hempstead. However, its exact location is unknown.
Oxford English Dictionary. 2nd ed. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1989.
Tredwell, Daniel M. "Raynortown--Freeport: Then and Now." Long Island Historical Bulletin. 1, No. 4, (October, 1913), 37-42.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, December 17, 2016.
New Inlet Hotel, (also known as Scott's Beach Hotel or Dick Smith's Place), was located on Meadow Island. Its original owner was Richard (Dick) Smith (1814-1886) who ran the hotel with his wife, Mary Ann Smith (nee Wanser) (1816-1881). In addition to the hotel business, Dick Smith held the title of wreck master.
The original hotel was three stories in height and may have stood on 30 acres. The first floor included a spacious kitchen, dining room and dance hall. The second floor had guest rooms and the third floor was occupied by the family. The hotel had a well that provided fresh drinking water and a spring-fed pond where ice was cut during the winter and stored for summer use. Kerosene provided lighting. The hotel was known for its tasty seafood dinners. The hotel served alcohol; music was furnished by Augustus F. Bishop of Babylon.
Tragedy struck on May 5, 1862, when a lightning strike injured Dick Smith and killed his son, Charles Augustus Smith, while they were in the hotel. In 1872, the hotel was destroyed by fire; the loss was estimated at $15,000. A new hotel was open in the summer of 1873.
Later, the hotel would be operated by Smith's daughter, Mary Elizabeth, and her husband, Andrew J. Scott. Due to erosion, the hotel was dragged to higher ground. The Scotts also added two wings to the building. In 1898, the Scotts' son died on the USS Maine in Havana Harbor. In 1905, Mrs. Scott had a monument erected on the island to honor both the Smith and Scott families.
In 1913, Mrs Scott began selling plots of land on Meadow Island. In 1920, she placed a classified ad for the sale of her 23-room house on the island.
"Burning of a Hotel." The Evening Post. April 19, 1872, 4. Accessed November 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83030384/1872-04-19/ed-1/seq-4/.
"Classified Advertising." Nassau County Review. July 3, 1914, 4. Accessed November 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071433/1914-07-03/ed-1/seq-4/.
"Current Events." South Side Signal. January 17, 1880, 3. Accessed November 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031038/1880-01-17/ed-1/seq-3/.
Disinternments from Presbyterian Cemetery to Greenfield Cemetery [original records available at the Freeport Historical Society].
"Ideal Club Site." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. July 28, 1928, 12. Accessed November 28, 2016. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/55630357/?terms=%22meadow%2Bisland%22.
"The Inlet Hotel." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. August 16, 1866, 2. Accessed November 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031151/1866-08-16/ed-1/seq-2/.
"Island Notes." South Side Signal. November 12, 1881, 2. Accessed November 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031038/1881-11-12/ed-1/seq-2/.
New Inlet Hotel (advertisement). The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. July 15, 1873, 3. Accessed November 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031151/1873-07-15/ed-1/seq-3/.
"The Pioneer Boniface of the Old South Beach." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. September 13, 1903, 46. Accessed November 28, 2016. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/53407638/?terms=%22meadow%2Bisland%22.
Smith, Julian Denton. "The Meadow Island Monument." Long Island Forum. June 1950, 103-120.
Verity, Wilbur A. "Meadow Island Monument." Long Island Forum. February 1978, 45-46.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, November 28, 2016.
Nichols Rug Cleaning was founded in 1923 by Walter M. Nichols the storefront was located at 86 East Sunrise Highway. In addition to rug cleaning, Nichols also offered rug storage. In 1954, the business was run by Nichols' daughter Madeline and her husband, Howard W. Lawrence (?-1966). In 1947, Howard opened the Lawrence Rug & Furniture Cleaners in Patchogue. His son, Wade, later took over the Freeport business and, in 1972, he added a retail carpet department.
Walter Nichols served as a trustee of the Village of Freeport during the Robert Patterson administration.
"Business." The Patchogue Advance. April 10, 1947, 7. Accessed December 11, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn86071739/1947-04-10/ed-1/seq-7/.
Howard W. Lawrence [obituary]. The Leader. September 8, 1966, 9. Accessed December 10, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1966-09-08/ed-1/seq-9/.
"Town Talk." The Patchogue Advance. April 10, 1947, 7. Accessed December 10, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn84031477/1947-04-25/ed-1/seq-5/.
"Nichols Rug." The Leader. May 4, 1972, 1. Accessed December 10, 2019.http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1972-05-04/ed-1/seq-1/
"37th Anniversary for Nichols Rug Cleaning Company." The Leader. November 10, 1960, 2. Accessed December 10, 2019.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, October 11, 2018.
Updated by Regina G. Feeney, December 11, 2019.
Noon Place was named for the Noon family, who lived in Freeport for many years.
Researched by Cynthia J. Krieg, May 27, 2016.
North Long Beach Avenue was originally named Ernest Street. Ernest S. Randall was John J. Randall's son, who served as mayor of Freeport from 1916 to 1917.
Zimmerman, Charles J. "What Ever Happened To Randolph, Claude and Jerome?" The Leader. October 15, 1992, 24
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 29, 2016.
North Brookside Avenue was originally called Whaleneck Road.
Raynor Town Map, 1868 located at the Freeport Historical Society.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 29, 2016.
North East Freeport Citizens Alliance was formed in 1980. At the time, it was one of 30 chapters of the Citizens Alliance, which was made up of low and moderated income neighborhoods in New York State. The organization was a non-partisan, non-profit citizen action organization which was part of the New York Public Interest Research Group, Inc. that had offices in Massapequa.
Members of the North East Freeport Citizens Alliance met at Little Zion Church of God (now Zion Cathedral) and discussed topics affecting residents in northeast Freeport such as abandoned homes, rising energy costs, and government services. The Alliance also formed the Citizens Alliance Fuel Buyers Group, a purchasing plan involving over 350 households in the metropolitan area that claimed to save Freeport customers 12 cents per gallon.
In 1981, North East Freeport Citizens Alliance asked the United States Attorney's Civil Rights Unit to investigate charges of racial discrimination related to Freeport's homesteading program. After review, no discrimination was found.
Membership in the Citizens Alliance cost between $15 and $25 annually.
"Citizens Alliance Meets Tuesday." The Leader. July 2, 1981, 2. Accessed December 2, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1981-03-26/ed-1/seq-7/.
"Citizens Alliance Seeks Federal Investigation of Homesteading Program. " The Leader. March 26, 1981, 7. Accessed November 29, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1981-03-26/ed-1/seq-7/.
Echikson, William and Laura Durkin. "Freeport Residents Demand Action on Vacant Buildings." Newsday. July 21, 1981, 23.
"Housing Energy Costs on Agenda." The Leader. October 29, 1981, 2. Accessed December 2, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1981-10-29/ed-1/seq-2/.
"Two New Groups..." The Leader." August 28, 1980, 2. Accessed December 2, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1980-08-28/ed-1/seq-2/.
"Village Board Sets Homesteading Guidelines." The Leader. December 3, 1981, 1. Accessed December 2, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1981-12-03/ed-1/seq-1/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, December 2, 2019.
Northeast Civic Association formed in 1921. This civic organization advocated for strict controls of local gas stations in 1927 and supported the widening and deepening of Jones Inlet as well as the elimination of rail road grade crossings on Long Island in 1933. In 1946, it was reported that this was the oldest civic association in Freeport.
To celebrate its 35th anniversary, the Northeast Civic Association presented life membership to five charter members including William Crevoiserat, who was the association's second president (1922-1923), Thomas Forker, William Schneider, Ed O'Meally, and Charles Bewett.
The Northeast Civic Association supported the controversial Freeport-Roslyn Expressway, which other local civic associations vehemently opposed. The proposed 12-lane expressway was never built.
It was reported that the Northeast Civic Association was the oldest such organization in continuous existence in New York State in 1961. The civic association attempted to fight blockbusting which began targeting the northern section of Freeport in the late 1950s.
The Northeast Civic Association influence began to wane in the mid 1960s; it was replaced for a time by the more racially integrated Neighborhood Civic League in 1966. The Northeast Civic Association began to appear in the local media in the 1980s.
Byerly, Ken. "Seek Freeport 'Blockbusting' Probe." Newsday. November 17, 1964, 11.
"Civic Associations Serve as Watchmen of the Community." The Leader. August 17, 1961, 4. Accessed May 4, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1961-08-17/ed-1/seq-4/.
"Fpt. Civics Mark 25th Anniversary." Newsday. December 6, 1946, 62.
"Freeport Picnic in N.E. Park." The Leader. July 8, 1982, 2. Accessed May 19, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1982-07-08/ed-1/seq-2/.
"NE Freeport Civics Endorse Expressway." Newsday. Feburary 11, 1952, 33.
Northeast Gives Five Life Memberships." The Leader. May 10, 1956, 3. Accessed May 4, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1956-05-10/ed-1/seq-3/.
"Some White Families Didn't Flee." Newsday. April 20, 1972, A5.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 4, 2018.
Norwood Hotel (later also known as the Anchorage and Casino Pool) was located on Casino Avenue. It was built in 1908 by John J. Randall. In 1913, the proprietor of the hotel was Edmund H. Norwood. In addition to guest rooms, the hotel had a barroom, billiard room, and dining room. In 1911, the hotel changed its name to the Anchorage and was managed by Louis N. Long. However, a 1913 business directory still referred to the hotel as the Norwood.
Eventually, the hotel became known as the Casino. This establishment featured hotel rooms, a dining room, a pool, and a sandy beach. Actor Leo Carrillo served as the manager for one season. In 1921, four Prohibition agents raided the hotel and found a half pint of liquor.
The wooden structure burned down in 1929. At the time of the fire, the hotel was owned by Dominick Ferrerra and leased to Albert Cacioppa.
The location became the site of Casino Pool. After the Casino Pool complex was torn down in 1976, the South Bay Condominium Complex was built on the site.
The Montauk Business Directory of Long Island: Queens Nassau and Suffolk Counties. New York: Mort F. Levy Publishing Co., Inc., 1913.
Krieg, Cynthia J. and Regina G. Feeney. Freeport. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2012.
"Raiders Obtain Half Pint at Ferrara Hotel in Freeport Friday." Daily Review. August 27, 1921, 1. Accessed October 5, 2016. Fultonhistory.com.
"$60,000 Blaze Destroys Noted Freeport Hotel." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. January 14, 1929, 1. Accessed October 5, 2016. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/59891976/?terms=casino%2Bfreeport.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, October 6, 2016.
New York and Long Island Traction Company was incorporated in February 1899 as the Mineola, Hempstead and Freeport Traction Company. This trolley company established a temporary office in Freeport in the Review Building located at 64 South Main Street. Trolley service from Hempstead to Freeport began in 1902. That same year, the company later changed its name. This company operated until 1926.
Around 1928, the New York and Long Island Traction Company property was purchased by the H. E. Salzberg Company. Salzberg owned the tracks until 1942, when the U.S. Government requisitioned all the unused trolley tracks in Nassau County, including those located along South Grove Street (now Guy Lombardo Avenue), to help support the war effort.
"Change its Name." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. July 1, 1902, 9. Accessed January 5, 2017. http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/50411293/?terms=%22freeport%2Btraction%22.
"Government to Take Tracks in Grove Street." The Leader. October 29, 1942, 1. Accessed January 7, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1942-10-29/ed-1/seq-1/.
"Long Island News." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. February 27, 1899, 7. Accessed January 5, 2017. http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/50407039/?terms=%22freeport%2Btraction%22.
"Traction Company's Office." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. October 11, 1899, 13. Accessed January 5, 2017. http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/50347346/?terms=%22freeport%2Btraction%22.
"Trolley Formerly Opened." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. May 15, 1902, 7. Accessed January 7, 2017. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031151/1902-05-15/ed-1/seq-7/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, January 7, 2017.
Nu-Merit Electrical Supply Co. was founded in 1922 as the Merit Corporation by Judson (Judd) Raynor; it was originally located in a barn at 139 East Merrick Road. In 1952, the company was purchased by Joseph and Kenneth Rabin. The business expanded and moved to 68 East Sunrise Highway. On June 1, 1967 Kenneth Rabin retired and and company was run by Joseph Rabin, and three partners, Theodore Sheridan, John Sheridan, and Bernard Buckwald. In 1972, the management team included: Theodore Sheridan, president; John Sheridan, treasurer; and Bernard Buckwald, secretary.
Nu-Merit became N&S Electric Supply and Lighting.
Nu-Merit Electrical Supply Co. [advertisement]. The Leader. October 19, 1972, 11. Accessed November 2, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1972-10-19/ed-1/seq-11/.
"The Nu-Merit Story," Nu-Merit Electrical Supply Co. [advertisement]. The Leader. September 7, 1967, 27. Accessed November 2, 2019. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1967-09-07/ed-1/seq-27/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, November 2, 2019.
Nugent's Airdome (also known as Freeport Airdome and Freeport Airdome, Co.) was an open-air theater located on South Grove Street (now Guy Lombardo Avenue) opposite the Freeport Club. Frank Nugent was the theater's owner.
In 1910, a fundraiser for the Fire Department Committee at Nugent's Airdome provided entertainment to about 500 people. Nugent hired a "whooping cowboy" in July 1911 to advertise a show. Unfortunately, the cowboy lassoed the horse causing it to fall. "Cowboy" Joe Clarke was arrested for cruelty with bail set at $500.
In 1911, Nugent moved his airdome to the theater identified as the "Crystal Palace" (possibly the Crystal Theatre) then soon after sold his theater interests in Freeport.
"Freeport News." Nassau County Review. June 25, 1910, 1. Accessed January 16, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071433/1910-06-25/ed-1/seq-1/.
"Freeport News." Nassau County Review. September 23, 1910,1. Accessed January 16, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071433/1910-09-23/ed-1/seq-1/.
"Freeport News." Nassau County Review. December 01, 1911, 1. Accessed January 16, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071433/1911-12-01/ed-1/seq-1/.
"Real Cowboy In Trouble." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. July 14, 1911, 5. Accessed January 16, 2018. https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/53945586/?terms=%22freeport%2Bair%2Bdome%22.
"That Airdome License." Nassau County Review. May 07, 1909, 1. Accessed January 16, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071433/1909-05-07/ed-1/seq-1/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, January 16, 2018.
New Mandarin Restaurant opened around 1950. It was located at 77 West Merrick Road, opposite the Grove Theater. In 1956, Mr. and Mrs. Chu purchased the restaurant and remodeled the dining room. That same year, the New Mandarin Restaurant celebrated Chinese New Year 4653 with 260 guests in attendance. Mr. Lum and Frank Brady were identified as being on staff at the restaurant.
"Feast as 'New Year' Guests." The Leader. February 16, 1956, 2. Accessed October 15, 2020. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1956-02-16/ed-1/seq-2/.
New Mandarin Restaurant [advertisement]. Nassau Daily Review-Star. August 09, 1950, 32. Accessed October 15, 2020. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031113/1950-08-09/ed-1/seq-32/.
New Mandarin Restaurant [advertisement]. The Leader. January 26, 1956, 2. Accessed October 15, 2020. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1956-01-26/ed-1/seq-2/.
Researched by Regina G. Feeney, October 15, 2020.