Welcome to the Freeport History Encyclopedia! This guide provides authoritative information about Freeport's incredible past. It includes the history of local institutions, parks and buildings, as well as biographies of the men and women who have added to the development and culture of the Village of Freeport.
Many of the entries have been contributed by Cynthia J. Krieg, the Village of Freeport Historian and trustee of the Freeport Historical Society.
Entries have been proofed and edited by Denise Rushton, Trustee of the Freeport Historical Society.
The Freeport History Encyclopedia is a work in progress. Please check back often for new entries and updates.
Quick Facts about Freeport
Freeport was settled in 1659.
Freeport was known as Raynortown and Raynor South until 1853 when the name "Freeport" was chosen by popular vote.
Today, Freeport is the second largest incorporated village in the State of New York.
More newspapers have been digitized!
Yearbooks (1927 to 1977)
Freeport: Its a Wonderful Town (Hager/Drach)
The following items are currently in the research and editing phase:
Mayfair Power Systems
Don't Know Much About Freeport
Port to Port Does Lantern Slides: (Port Washington Public Library / Freeport Memorial Library Lecture Series)
Regina Reads the Phonebook (History of telephone service in Freeport and interesting places and people found in local directories and phonebooks)