Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Freeport History Encyclopedia: U

Freeport History Encyclopedia includes authoritative information about Freeport's past. This guide is perfect for anyone wanting to know more about our village.

Uncle Wash's Lane

Uncle Wash's Lane was renamed Franklin Square.

Source:

Raynor Town Map, 1868 located at the Freeport Historical Society.

Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 29, 2016.

Union Reform Temple

The Union Reform Temple was located at 475 North Brookside Avenue.  The congregation served the Freeport, Baldwin, and Roosevelt area.   It held its first services in October of 1953 at One East Sunrise Highway.  Later that year, services were held in the former Baptist Church that was located at 74 South Grove Street (now Guy Lombardo Avenue).

On October 14, 1960, the Union Reform Temple building and school were dedicated. The temple was designed by noted architect Percival Goodman (1904-1989).  Goodman has been recognized as the leading designer of synagogues.  Between 1936 and 1979 he designed more than 50 synagogues and religious buildings in the United States, including the Fifth Avenue Synagogue.

In 2000, the Union Reform Temple merged with Temple Avodah, Oceanside.  The building is now occupied by Centro Cristiano Renacer.

Click here for images of the Union Reform Temple.

See Also:

B'nai Israel

Religion

 

Sources:

"New Union Reform Temple to be Dedicated Oct. 14." The Leader. October 13, 1960, 4. Accessed October 29, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1960-10-13/ed-1/seq-4/.

"Percival Goodman, 85 Synagogue Designer, Dies." The New York Times. October 12, 1989, B12. 

"Union Reform Congregation Opens Services Friday Night." The Leader.  October 15, 1953, 4.  Accessed October 29, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1953-10-15/ed-1/seq-4/.

"Union Reform Temple Moves to New Home."  The Leader. December 10, 1953, 1. Accessed October 29, 2018. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn95071064/1953-12-10/ed-1/seq-1/.

Researched by Regina G. Feeney, October 29, 2018.

 

Union Street

Union Street between Seaman Avenue to Forrest Avenue, was originally called Elliott Street.

Source:

Zimmerman, Charles. "Strolling the Archives." The Northwester [newsletter of the Northwest Civic Association]. January 1991.

Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 28, 2016.

United Cigar Stores Co.

United Cigar Stores Co. had two Freeport locations: 4 West Merrick Road and 29 Railroad Avenue.  In addition to tobacco, the store sold newspapers, stationary, and candy. In the 1920s, Louis R. Posner was the agent.

 

Source:

Voyageur, 1927 (Freeport High School Yearbook).

Researched by Regina G. Feeney, December 23, 2016.

Utz Street

Utz Street was named for the Utz family who came from Germany.  Dr. Charles Utz was a veterinarian.  Christian Utz was a farmer who was killed when he was kicked by a horse.

See Also:

Utz, Christian L.

Researched by Cynthia J. Krieg, May 28, 2016.

Utz, Christian L.

Christian Ludwig Utz (1860-1902) was born in Germany and moved to the United States in 1880.  He settled in Freeport and worked as a farmer.  Tragically in 1902, he was kicked by a horse and died.  He is buried in Greenfield Cemetery.  Utz Street is named for his family.

See Also:

Utz Street

 

Sources:

"Christian L. Utz." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. September 1, 1902, 14. Accessed May 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031151/1902-09-01/ed-1/seq-14/.

"Dying From Horse's Kick." The Brooklyn Daily Eagle. August 30, 1902, 1.  Accessed May 28, 2016. http://nyshistoricnewspapers.org/lccn/sn83031151/1902-08-30/ed-1/seq-1/.

Researched by Regina G. Feeney, May 28, 2016.